Life is extremely uncertain right now with Novel Coronavirus spreading rapidly. It can be difficult to know how to keep yourself and your family safe while hunkered down at home, but there are a few things you can do to help protect against illness.
According to recent research, Covid-19 can survive on plastic and stainless steel surfaces for 2-3 days, so it’s important to stay on top of disinfecting them, especially if someone in your home is sick. First and foremost, areas that are frequently touched such as doorknobs, light switches, tables, countertops and keyboards should be cleaned daily.
For effective disinfecting, the CDC recommends the following:
- Wear disposable gloves for all cleaning
- For visibly dirty surfaces, begin by cleaning with soap and water, followup with a disinfectant
- Ensure proper room ventilation and use either a diluted bleach solution or a solution containing at least 70% alcohol. For a full list of products approved for Coronavirus, please visit the EPA website
- Follow all instructions listed on the cleaning product and be sure it’s not expired
- Wash your hands when finished
Do Your Laundry
While there’s not been specific research released regarding the lifespan of the virus on fabric, it’s still ideal to change your clothes and put them in the washer whenever you get home from doing essential shopping or if you have to report to work in person. Normal laundry settings with detergent should be enough to remove the germs from your clothing, but you can also lay the clothes out in direct sunlight for an hour prior to washing if that added step helps your peace of mind.
If you find yourself caring for someone who is sick, it’s okay to wash their clothes with yours, just wear disposable gloves and wash your hands with soap and water as soon as the gloves are off. Disinfecting hampers and the outside of the washer and dryer is also a good idea.
As always, if you’re looking for more in-depth tips or help, Housekeeping Associates is here for all your cleaning needs! We hope you stay safe and healthy!